Its great to be welcoming you back! Find out how we're keeping everyone safe at Coniston Boating Centre.
Why Coniston is the best place for you to hire a canoe
For the more experienced paddlers, our hire Canadian canoes are larger and more 'boat like' than kayaks and paddleboards, this makes them harder to handle, however if you know how they are the perfect way to make the most of Coniston Water.
With Artic Charr and Salmon swimming around our lake the Canoe is the perfect boat to fish from. Long enough to keep your rod safe, and easy enough to manoeuvre into those perfect fishing nooks and crannies, the only thing missing is you!
You will need some experience of canoeing, and then after a quick safety briefing you'll be out on the water.
Keeping you safe
Now we have reopened we have put a few measures in place to ensure the safety of our staff and customers:.
- Online bookings only.
- New safe distance queuing system.
- Contact-free check-in at kiosk.
- Contact-free safety briefings.
- Every boat is sanitised between each trip.
- Every buoyancy aid is sanitised between each use.
- The Bluebird cafe is open.
- The public toilets here are open.
- We have a staggered booking process to avoid crowds.
What you will need for your canoe adventure
- Some previous experience of canoeing
- Canoe and paddle(s)*
- Buoyancy aid*
- A brief instruction before hire*
- Clothing and footwear you don't mind getting wet, we advise not to wear denim as we don’t want you getting cold! Wear something comfy, canoes are best for an afternoon bobbing around.
- Hot weather - suncream and a bottle of water (it does happen, we promise)
- Cold weather - warm clothing, a change of clothes and extra snacks (it also happens, we don’t need to promise)
- We suggest bringing a mobile phone in case of emergencies, dry bags can be purchased from the shop
- A waterproof jacket and trousers would also be recommended
- Packed lunch (optional but why not?)
*We provide these for you.
Canoeing is a relaxing way to explore the entirety of Coniston water safely. Our team have got years of experience of canoeing. Why not ask them about some of their expeditions when there kitting you out ready for your day? We will teach you the basics of balance and paddling, as well as the best places to discover throughout your day. Have a look at our webcam to build up your excitement.
Please book in advance to guarantee availability.
Canadian canoe hire charges
Canoe hires are for 2 hours. 2 people per canoe, previous experience required.
2 people: £25
You can book Canadian canoe hire for two online using our secure booking system.
Please note, to book multiple canoes you will need to book multiple time slots as a result of our Covid-19 measures. For example if you are wanting to book two canoes at 10am you would need to book one at 10:00 and one at 10:15. We will then do our best to ensure you go out at the same time.
If you have any questions, please call us on 015394 41366 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Two tips to make the most of your day
We love canoeing, with these simple tips we’ll be sure that you’ll love it too!
1) Paddle on opposite sides of the boat. This will make sure you carry on going forward and don't spin around in circles or spend the day weaving around. There is nothing worse than spending the day going in the wrong direction.
2) Paddle in sync with your partner. Find your rhythm. It is the bow (front) paddlers job to set the pace, and it is the role of the stern (back) paddler to match that tempo. This ensures that you are maximizing your forward momentum. Remember, the smoother you are, the further you’ll glide.
With the Lake District National Park being our home we have our fair share of bad weather. Throughout the year the wind picks up to an unpleasant level and we have to cancel hire for the day. Please check the weather forecast or ring us before setting off to Coniston Boating Centre to avoid disappointment.