Its great to be welcoming you back! Find out how we're keeping everyone safe at Coniston Boating Centre.
Why kayak hire is something you must try in 2021
Kayaking has been popular in the Lake District for years. Our single seater and two seater sit on top hire kayaks are perfect for beginners and experts alike as they allow a stable, simple way to explore Coniston. Whether you’re wanting to go fishing, fancy racing your mates, or just after a gentle family adventure, these little sturdy boats are perfect for you.
Plus with a backdrop as epic as The Old Man of Coniston and Grizedale forest, there is no better place to enjoy the freedom of kayak hire.
Kayak hire is currently unavailable.
Keeping you safe
We have put a few measures in place to ensure the safety of our staff and customers:
- Online bookings only.
- New safe distance queuing system.
- Contact-free check-in at kiosk.
- Contact-free safety briefings.
- Every boat is sanitised between each trip.
- Every buoyancy aid is sanitised between each use.
- The public toilets here are open.
- We have a staggered booking process to avoid crowds.
What you will need for kayaking
- Kayak and paddle(s)*
- Buoyancy aid*
- A brief instruction before hire*
- Clothing and footwear you don't mind getting wet, we advise not to wear denim as we don’t want you getting cold! Your legs tend to get a bit wet from the paddles (especially when racing), in the summer we tend to find skin is very waterproof so shorts are good.
- Hot weather - suncream and a bottle of water (it happens, sometimes)
- Cold weather - warm clothing, a change of clothes and extra snacks (it happens, a lot of the time)
- We suggest bringing a mobile phone in case of emergencies, dry bags can be purchased from our shop
- A waterproof jacket and trousers would also be recommended
*We provide these for you.
Kayaking is a simple way to explore Coniston at your own pace. We’re big fans of kayaking, with years of experience and expedition stories between us, feel free to ask us as many questions or tips as you like. There is no such thing as a silly question!
Please book in advance to guarantee availability. During busy times the site gets very busy, please arrive with plenty of time before your booking to find a parking space, more parking is available in Coniston Village.
Sit on top kayak hire charges
Kayak hires are available for 2 hours only, you must be minimum 14 years old to hire a single seat kayak. Online bookings only.
1 person in a single kayak: £20 (age 14+)
2 people in a double kayak: £25 (under 14's allowed if with an adult)
You can book sit on top kayak hire for one person and kayaks for two people online using our secure booking system.
Please note, to book multiple kayaks you will need to book multiple time slots as a result of our Covid-19 measures. For example if you are wanting to book two kayaks at 10am you would need to book one at 10:00 and one at 10:15. We will then do our best to ensure you go out at the same time.
If you have any questions, please call us on 015394 41366 or email us at email@example.com
Our two top tips for kayaking
Before your visit here are two top tips that have helped us kayak for miles:
1) Sit properly. Don’t slouch. It’s best to sit up straight with your lower back and buttocks at 90 degrees to each other.
You’ll find foot pegs on each side of your kayak. Guess what goes here? That’s right, your feet. Your toes should be pointed outwards and heels towards the centre. Your knees should be bent upwards and outwards. It’s actually surprisingly comfortable!
2) Hold the paddle the right way. This might sound obvious but we've seen plenty of people holding their paddle the wrong way when leaving our shore, it's best you know beforehand so we're not waving our arms at the end of the jetty. Have a look at our webcam so you know what to expect when you arrive. Hold the paddle with both hands just over shoulder distance apart. Make sure the concave part of the blade is facing you. When you dip the paddle blade into the water, the concave part should sweep through the water. Check your knuckles are in line with the blade.
With the Lake District National Park being our home we have our fair share of bad weather. Throughout the year the wind picks up to an unpleasant level and we have to cancel hire for the day. Please check the weather forecast or ring us before setting off to Coniston Boating Centre to avoid disappointment.