Update: 17 March 2020
We have suspended all our boat hire and activities. We are cancelling and will automatically refund all bookings for boat hire up until 1 May. We will keep this refund date under review.
Enjoy a classic rowing experience on Coniston Water
People have been enjoying the Lake District by rowing boat since the 19th Century. Our rowing boats are lovingly maintained by our team to replicate the traditional boats you'll see on old postcards, making them both sturdy for everyone to enjoy, and beautiful for those memorable photo moments.
We love our rowing boats so much that they’ve been named after family members and pets close to the Coniston Boating Centre team, we love the craftsmanship of these old boats and spend our winters making sure they are in perfect condition for you to enjoy.
What you will need
- Boat and oars*
- Buoyancy aid*
- A brief instruction before hire*
- Clothing and footwear you don't mind getting wet, we advise not to wear denim as we don’t want you getting cold!
- Hot weather - suncream and a bottle of water (rumour has it, rowing boats are the perfect sunbathing vessel!)
- Cold weather - warm clothing, a change of clothes and extra snacks (Coniston is still beautiful in the cold, but make sure you’re comfy”)
- We suggest bringing a mobile phone in case of emergencies, dry bags can be purchased from the shop
- A waterproof jacket and trousers would also be recommended
*We provide these for you
Our rowing boats are perfect to get everyone out on Coniston Water. Our team take great pride in these boats, and we will help you have that memorable moment on the water. We will teach you the basics of rowing and balance.
Please book in advance to guarantee availability.
Rowing boat hire charges
|Number of people||2||4||6|
|Up to 1 hour||£15||£20||£25|
|Up to 2 hours||£25||£30||£40|
|Up to 4 hours||£40||£50||£60|
You can book rowing boat hire online using our secure booking system
Boats are available to book for going out on the water from 1 April onwards.
For more information, please call us on 015394 41366 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Remember, if you're the person rowing, sit with your back to the front of the boat (the pointy end) and you'll find it much easier. This also means you avoid seeing us at the end of the jetty waving our arms around. Have a look at our webcam to get your and the family excited for your boating trip.
With the Lake District National Park being our home we have our fair share of bad weather. Throughout the year the wind picks up to an unpleasant level and we have to cancel hire for the day. Please check the weather forecast or ring us before setting off to Coniston Boating Centre to avoid disappointment.