Its great to be welcoming you back! Find out how we're keeping everyone safe at Coniston Boating Centre.
Enjoy a classic rowing experience on Coniston Water
People have been enjoying the Lake District by rowing boat since the 19th Century. Our rowing boats are lovingly maintained by our team to replicate the traditional boats you'll see on old postcards, making them both sturdy for everyone to enjoy, and beautiful for those memorable photo moments.
We love our rowing boats so much that they’ve been named after family members and pets close to the Coniston Boating Centre team, we love the craftsmanship of these old boats and spend our winters making sure they are in perfect condition for you to enjoy.
Keeping you safe
We have put a few measures in place to ensure the safety of our staff and customers:
- Online bookings only.
- New safe distance queuing system.
- Contact-free check-in at kiosk.
- Contact-free safety briefings.
- Every boat is sanitised between each trip.
- Every buoyancy aid is sanitised between each use.
- The public toilets here are open.
- We have a staggered booking process to avoid crowds.
When can recreational boating take place?
From the 8th March self drive day hire of boats is permitted for the purpose of open air recreation in a public outdoor place (the vessel must be open air) for single household/bubble only. From the 29th March self drive day hire of boats is permitted for 6 people / 2 households per boat if the vessel is open air.
What you will need
- Boat and oars*
- Buoyancy aid*
- A brief instruction before hire*
- Clothing and footwear you don't mind getting wet, we advise not to wear denim as we don’t want you getting cold!
- Hot weather - suncream and a bottle of water (rumour has it, rowing boats are the perfect sunbathing vessel!)
- Cold weather - warm clothing, a change of clothes and extra snacks (Coniston is still beautiful in the cold, but make sure you’re comfy”)
- We suggest bringing a mobile phone in case of emergencies, dry bags can be purchased from the shop
- A waterproof jacket and trousers would also be recommended
*We provide these for you
Our rowing boats are perfect to get everyone out on Coniston Water. Our team take great pride in these boats, and we will help you have that memorable moment on the water. We will teach you the basics of rowing and balance.
Please book in advance to guarantee availability. During busy times the site gets very busy, please arrive with plenty of time before your booking to find a parking space, more parking is available in Coniston Village.
Rowing boat hire charges
All rowing boat hires are for 1 hour. Booking online only.
- 1 or 2 people: £20
- 3 or 4 people: £25
- 5 or 6 people: £30
You can book rowing boat hire online using our secure booking system.
Please note, to book multiple rowing boats you will need to book multiple time slots as a result of our Covid-19 measures. For example if you are wanting to book two rowing boats at 10am you would need to book one at 10:00 and one at 10:15. We will then do our best to ensure you go out at the same time.
For more information, please call us on 015394 41366 or email us at email@example.com
Remember, if you're the person rowing, sit with your back to the front of the boat (the pointy end) and you'll find it much easier. This also means you avoid seeing us at the end of the jetty waving our arms around. Have a look at our webcam to get your and the family excited for your boating trip.
With the Lake District National Park being our home we have our fair share of bad weather. Throughout the year the wind picks up to an unpleasant level and we have to cancel hire for the day. Please check the weather forecast or ring us before setting off to Coniston Boating Centre to avoid disappointment.