Our Swallows and Amazons will be back on the water from mid-March 2018 – we look forward to welcoming you back to Coniston Boating Centre in the New Year!
Swallows and Amazons
Arthur Ransome's tales of young pirates and explorers in the Lake District have enchanted generations. In his world woodpeckers become parrots and waterlilies are octopuses.
Lake District locations that inspired Ransome
- Wild Cat Island may be Peel Island on Coniston Water – including the secret harbour
- Rio may be Bowness-on-Windermere
- Kanchenjunga is probably the Old Man of Coniston
- Cormorant Island was inspired by Silver Holme island on Windermere
- The Peak of Darien may be Friar's Crag on Derwentwater
Spot shooting locations from the 1974 film
- Peel Island on Coniston Water was Wild Cat Island
- The houseboat is The Lady Derwentwater on Derwentwater
- Shark Bay is on Elterwater
- Octopus Lagoon is the waterlily pond above Skelwith Fold Caravan Park
Create your own Swallows and Amazons adventure at Coniston
Embrace your inner Swallow or Amazon at Coniston Boating Centre - from Easter onwards experienced sailors can hire sailing dinghies - or you can explore the lake by rowing boat or motor boat all year round.